By Frederick Kaufman
In 2008, farmers grew adequate to feed two times the world's inhabitants, but extra humans starved than ever beforeand such a lot of them have been farmers. In Bet the Farm, foodstuff author Kaufman units out to find the relationship among the worldwide meals procedure and why the nutrition on our tables is getting much less fit and no more scrumptious at the same time the the world's largest nutrients businesses and foodstuff scientists say issues are larger than ever. to resolve this riddle, he strikes down the provision chain like a detective fixing a secret, revealing a strength at paintings that's better than Monsanto, McDonalds or any of the opposite usually stated culpritsand way more shocking.
Kaufman's fresh disguise tale for Harper's, "The nutrients Bubble," provoked controversy during the meals international, and ended in appearances at the NBC Nightly information, MSNBC, Fox company information, Democracy Now, and Bloomberg television, in addition to gains on nationwide Public Radio and the BBC international Service.
- Visits front strains of the nutrition offer method and meals politics as Kaufman visits farms, nutrients technology study labs, agribusiness giants, the United international locations, the Chicago Mercantile trade, and more
- Explains how nutrients has been financialized and the robust effects of this modification, together with: the Arab Spring, began over emerging meals costs; farmers being positioned into chapter 11; foodstuff scientists dashing to make easy-to-transport, homogenized materials rather than scrumptious foods
- Explains how the frenzy for sustainability in meals construction is prone to make every thing worse, instead of betterand how the increase of quickly nutrients is undesirable for us, yet catastrophic should you won't ever even see a McNugget or frozen pizza
Read Online or Download Bet the Farm: How Food Stopped Being Food PDF
Best american history books
The village of Indian Lake used to be officially based in 1858, in the course of a time while many small groups have been arising within the Adirondacks end result of the lumber undefined. In 1889, Dr. Thomas C. Durant proven a department of the Delaware and Hudson Railroad that hooked up Saratoga Springs and North Creek.
The tale of Sierra Vista, Arizona starts with Coronado's explorations of the southwestern wasteland within the 16th century, lengthy prior to the 1877 institution of Camp Huachuca, domestic of the famed twenty fourth Infantry "Buffalo infantrymen. " Sierra Vista grew up within the fury of the silver and copper mining days surrounded by way of 3 wonderful mountains and the San Perdro River.
Background of the yankee Negro: West Virginia variation is a set of biographies of African American women and men before everything of the 20 th century. Edited and released by means of A. B. Caldwell, the background of the yank Negro assortment comprises seven volumes that richly describe the lives of voters in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Virginia, Washington, DC, and West Virginia.
" Kent Brown's wonderful account of the occupation of Lt. Alonzo Hereford Cushing deals beneficial insights into the character of the Civil struggle and the boys who fought it. Brown's vibrant descriptions of the warmth and exhaustion of compelled marches, of the fury of conflict, have seldom been matched in Civil conflict literature.
- Bloody Breathitt: Politics and Violence in the Appalachian South (New Directions in Southern History)
- Fort Worth Characters
- The Knoxville Campaign: Burnside and Longstreet in East Tennessee
- Kingman (Images of America)
- Soul by Soul: Life Inside the Antebellum Slave Market
- The IMF and Argentina, 1991-2001 (Independent Evaluation Office Reports)
Additional info for Bet the Farm: How Food Stopped Being Food
Bet the Farm: How Food Stopped Being Food by Frederick Kaufman